Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Visitors and Residents

As I stepped into the cyber galaxy, blinking like an owl in the sun, I imagined I could hear a collective utterance from its residents, "You're not from around here, are you?"

According to the video  Visitors and Residents, internet users can be classified into two categories; visitors and residents. In the video visitors are described as those who, upon logging out of their email/Facebook/on-line banking, disappear completely. They leave no footprint, no evidence of their residency in the world wide web. In contrast, residents are those who have made a "home" on the web, they leave a footprint, which even when one is logged off, can be seen by others.

Even now with diggo, twitter and blogger accounts, I would consider myself a visitor. Or perhaps a resident-wanna-be. My contribution to the www story is fleeting. As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I am attempting to guide myself by the principle that one's value is measured by the knowledge they share, as opposed to the knowledge they keep. The internet is the venue with the widest audience with whom to share. I hope that the creation of my "Christina's Creative Writing Cookbook" will be a major step in earning my residency in the cyber world.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you consider yourself a "resident wanna-be" rather than just a visitor, because at least you're acknowledging that you are in the process of becoming a resident, but aren't quite there yet. And what is this about your "Christina's Creative Writing Cookbook"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said in a previous comment, I'm excited that you've come up with the idea of your writing cookbook! I think we are all on our way to becoming "residents" especially since we've been getting our names out there on twitter and opening up our blogs to the public!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina's Creative Writing Cookbook finally has a website! http://christinascreativewritingcookbook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete